We arrived in Dharamsala three nights ago and have since pampered ourselves with a vacation mindset. The train and multiple bus rides were far from enjoyable as the overall travel time spanned nearly 17 hours. I still remain perplexed by the way this country is run. The one thing which eased our minds during our trainride was the fact that our destination was the last stop and we would surely either be awoken by the many travelers gathering their luggage and fighting to get off quickly or alerted by one of the train attendents, neither happened. While the train began moving in the direction we had just come from, Thane groggily climbed down from his horizontal perch on the second class sleeper to see what was up. The only option was to conclude that the supposed last stop ( Pathankot ) was behind us and we had missed it, it was 4:30 in the morning. The three of us( we are still traveling with our Israeli friend Yael) packed up our things and jumped off the train which for whatever reason had come to a halt shortly after leaving the station. It was moving when Thane finally was able to jump, but that is not when the accident happened. We were walking down the track when he tripped, falling face first and busting his lip and head open. It thankfully is not as bad as we thought and he only has a few scratches with not bruising. So, So so - after that scare we carefully walked on, down the tracks, into town and found the bus stand. Hoped on a bus a hour later on its way to McLeod Ganj, Dharamsala, with much higher spirits.
So now we are relaxing in this Buddhist tibeten town and truly having a good time. Our first night we saw the movie Kundun in one of the three movie theatres in town - I thought it was very suiting. I am sitting next to a monk at the moment and the shaved head and the red cloth of their dress stands out in the streets. We have visited a few of the local musuems and are learning more and more abou the Tibetan struggle for indenpence - as well as the atrocities of the Chinese control. When I first heard about the railway from Bejing the Lhasa I very much wanted to take the ride, after understanding more about the chinese tactics to heighten the flow of tourists into Lhasa in an effort to furthur destory the tibetan lifestyle and culuture I have to say I am quite against it. So I am content to enjoy the Tibetan hospitality in India. Thane is finishing up his englis lesson with a monk in a few minutes and later today I will participate in my fist exchage - exciting.
Last night we finally heard a brilliant concert. We sad in a crowded room filled with mostly Israelis and the talented the muscians sat on a little stage. The sitar, drums, flute - it was impressie and extremely unique.
I had an acupunture treatment this morning - interesting but a tiny bit painful and as I don't have any ailments I don't think I'll be trying it again. Also had a Tibetan massage ( I told ya'll I was in vacation mode ) and it was very nice indeed. I want to take a massage and painting class while I'm here. There is alos Reiki and yoga of course but considering the fact that I have not practiced anything I learned during my Rishikesh sessions I don't think I'll be trying any more of that. I'm looking forward to getting to know this place and the people.
So now we are relaxing in this Buddhist tibeten town and truly having a good time. Our first night we saw the movie Kundun in one of the three movie theatres in town - I thought it was very suiting. I am sitting next to a monk at the moment and the shaved head and the red cloth of their dress stands out in the streets. We have visited a few of the local musuems and are learning more and more abou the Tibetan struggle for indenpence - as well as the atrocities of the Chinese control. When I first heard about the railway from Bejing the Lhasa I very much wanted to take the ride, after understanding more about the chinese tactics to heighten the flow of tourists into Lhasa in an effort to furthur destory the tibetan lifestyle and culuture I have to say I am quite against it. So I am content to enjoy the Tibetan hospitality in India. Thane is finishing up his englis lesson with a monk in a few minutes and later today I will participate in my fist exchage - exciting.
Last night we finally heard a brilliant concert. We sad in a crowded room filled with mostly Israelis and the talented the muscians sat on a little stage. The sitar, drums, flute - it was impressie and extremely unique.
I had an acupunture treatment this morning - interesting but a tiny bit painful and as I don't have any ailments I don't think I'll be trying it again. Also had a Tibetan massage ( I told ya'll I was in vacation mode ) and it was very nice indeed. I want to take a massage and painting class while I'm here. There is alos Reiki and yoga of course but considering the fact that I have not practiced anything I learned during my Rishikesh sessions I don't think I'll be trying any more of that. I'm looking forward to getting to know this place and the people.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home