Monday, August 18, 2008

Though my instinct is to jump in and begin rambling about the scenes and experiences of Kyrgyzstan, I'm resisting the urge. First I want to at least summarize the incredible adventure I recently completed in Labrador, Canada. For 32 days I had the privilege of traveling through this remote and pristine world of water, caribou moss and black spruce forests with seven amazingly capable, humerous and grateful people. I feel honored to have led the expedition alongside a good friend and incredible outdoorswoman Naomi.

The Atikonak River runs wild and north. For two days Garrett Conover, a legend in the world of canoe travel and one of the most likeable men I know, drove the group into Canada and bade us farewell as disappeared into the otherwide inaccessible interior of Quebec on the QNS&L ( Quebec North Shore and Labrador) railroad. We had the train stop in the middle of nowhere and there were many looks of concern as we disembarked and our canoes and gear were unloaded. I could write pages about this experience but alas another has laready commenced and though I do dwell in the cool air and gorgeous water of Labrador often in memory at present I am once again in a hot noisy internet cafe in Kyrgyzstan.

Thane and I have been taking a seminar on Transpersonal Psychology here in Bishkek with a well known psychologist David Lukoff. Unfortunatly it is not as much him lecturing as it is the participants offering their opinions and in our case irrelevant questions. So we have decided not the finish the week of 10 hour days and are preparing for our trekking, aqcuiring the necessary maps, fuel and food. Thane tells me he has almost finished a thorough overview of what our time here has consisted of so I will keep this short and simply say that I am thinking of my family and friends and hoping life is going smoothly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home